Tough Mudder is one of the best team-based event series by 10 to 12 miles long obstacle courses and mud run to challenge yourself and your friends. Many people are trying to perform mud running for their special benefits like the endurance and muscle development that are gradually obtained when performing such a sport.
We believe mud running is very good for exercise and entertainment. So, to make your life a little bit easier we have come up with a list of the best shoes for tough mudder to stay always safe and healthy.
Why You Need Specific Shoes for a Tough Mudders or Spartan Race?
You must need specific shoes when performing a tough mudder or a spartan race because they are usually a foot race. Tough mudders and spartan races are extremely difficult to complete and be competitive if you don’t wear the right type of shoes.
To keep your foot comfortable when practice tough Mudder race, you need shoes that are specially designed to facilitate this movement. A pair of mud running shoes could adequately protect, improve your feet’s health and integrity. To get the right pair of mudder shoes to look on our shoes review part.
What Type of Shoes are Needed for Spartan Races and Tough Mudder?
The right type of shoes for Spartan Races and Tough Mudders are the running shoes. A right pair of mud running shoes can give you better touch to the ground. This will help you improve your balance when running and give you the extra boost you need when bouncing over the mud.
Moreover, these types of shoes should have a smart lacing system that will help you keep safe when you are running. They can also keep you dry since they have an extra waterproof layer which is keeping the rainwater away from the internal parts of the shoes.
Finally, choose these types of shoes that can give you more endurance and reassure so that you can enjoy the event pain-free.
What Is The Best Way To Clean Mud of Running Shoes?
If you have completed a mud run and obviously your shoes will be caked with mud both inside and upper part. Even the mud running shoes need constant cleaning so that they can be acceptable for long time use. The smart and easiest way to remove mud from the surface of the shoes is to wash them under freshwater using a soft towel or cloth.
You may also use some mild detergent that is leather sensitive so that it can keep the normal balance and colors of the outer leather layers of the shoes. You should never put your shoes in the washing machine since this could easily harm their rubber particles as well as the soft tissue cushioning.
Benefits of Best Mud Running Shoes
There are many benefits of the best tough mudder shoes. First, you can improve your performance while running on mud. This is because you find enhanced stability and better grip when using the best shoes.
Additionally, when wearing the mud running shoe you are injury-free no matter how you are racing. That is because you can enjoy the most technologically advanced protection for your feet since the shoes are embracing your ankle and heel areas which are the most common places of pain and distress.
By wearing the best shoes in a mud race, you will be able to drop in blood pressure and body weight, and you can also increase in lung capacity.
Features of a Good Shoes for Mud Running
The shoes which are made for mud running come with certain features like:
- Perfect joint protection. This is the most appreciated feature for runners. The shoes are securing your sensitive ankle and heel areas and give you the assurance that you will finish the race safe and sound.
- Better traction. A good shoe for tough mudder will give you better traction in mud and wet.
- Breathability. This is extremely important when running for prolonged periods of time since it can significantly reduce the inner temperature of your shoes.
- Waterproof. The shoes are waterproof to ensure that outer water will never reach your feet and they will be fast drying shoe
- Lightweight. The shoes must have to be lightweight because you have to pass a 12-mile race.
Our Top picks
Best Shoes for Tough Mudder
1. Merrell Trail Glove 4 Runner
Merrell Trail Glove 4 is one of the best running shoes for tough mudder. The shoe offer you protection and great comfort when competing the mud race. Their aerodynamic shape offers you unique energy-saving abilities.
They are also featuring great cushioning for the heel area to anticipate all shocks from the ground. The forefoot area is spacey enough to let your toe fingers move freely and improve your balance.
There have Vibram TC5 outsole and trail protect pad. The stacked heel or toe height is 0.45 inches. Their trail protect pad offers your underfoot protection. Overall, they are comfortable and enough protective. It will be perfect for a mud runner to finish the race successfully.
- Lightweight design
- Stylish appearance
- Upper mesh is breathable
- Lacing system keeps your feet secured
- Heel cap can reduce pain
- Cannot be found available on all markets
2. Mizuno Women’s Wave Creation 19 Running Shoe
This comfortable running shoe is considered to be one of the best mud run shoes for women. Most of the runners agree that you can outperform in these shoes thanks to their great energy profile and their enhanced security features. They are also featuring Dynamotion-Fit 3 panel upper with minimal synthetic overlays for breathability. X10 carbon rubber compound provides better traction in any situation of race.
They can keep your ankle secured with the foot arch area using its larger upper mesh and shaft. The shoes are breathable to make it easier for you to run long distances. Finally, they are fashionable enough when running. Overall, the Wave creation 19 is long-lasting, responsive shoe.
- 100% Synthetic
- Articulated U4icX bottom midsole
- Greater forefoot area to give more room for your toe fingers
- Anatomical sock liner for comfortable
- Removable insole
- Expensive shoe
3. Salomon Speedcross 4 Trail Running Shoe
This is the most reputable pair of shoes in the online market. Considered to be one of the best mud running shoes that can feel stable and fast when running on them to compete in mud running races. The Padded tongue and collar of the shoes deliver support and comfort.
It is made with Nylon mesh and water-resistant textile upper and Lug outsole always keeps you balanced even when you are over the most slippery terrains. Additionally, these shoes have removable insoles so that you can wash them regularly and enjoy the highest hygiene levels.
Finally, these shoes are embracing your feet to cover all the sensitive areas with specialized cushioning that can take away all the painful feelings due to the excessive training.
- All parts are imported to ensure proper quality
- The rubber sole is made of special alloy to stay intact in extreme weather conditions
- Spikes to penetrate to muddy surfaces and give you better traction
- Lacing system too good
- EVA midsole for extreme comfort
- Black color available only.
4. Saucony Peregrine 7 Trail Running Shoe
This is definitely one of the best shoes for mud running with all the features that you need. This brand has always been associated with the most highly sophisticated running shoes you have ever seen.
The shoe has a perfect leather-shaped outer to keep you well insulated when running on mud or close to water resources. The PWR TRAC Outsole ensures your optimal grip and traction when running. Additionally, you can feel comfortable in your shoes since they have softer insoles across the industry.
Finally, these shoes are easy to wear barefoot and enjoy the breeze. They can give you the rebound you need to complete the race with ease. They provide excellent support and protection for tpu exo-skeleton frames.
- Textile outer parts for more lightweight design
- Waterproof sides don’t let outer water penetrate the shoes
- Laces are bent easily using only one hand
- Power track outsole for best gripping results
- Collar lining is specially designed to keep the moisture away
- Cannot be worn on formal occasions
5. Under Armour Men’s Micro G Speed Swift 2 Running Shoe
Another shoe in the list of the best shoes for tough mudder with superior flexibility is the Under Armour Micro G Speed running shoes. It made with 100% mesh and UA ClutchFit upper. They can give you enhanced endurance and stamina when running on the mud surface.
Their outer part is covered with a special rubber alloy to give you a responsive ride. The shoes are softer than ever before and can protect your heel and foot curve sensitive areas. Overall this shoe is one of the best under armour tough mudder shoes. The shoes have EVA sock liner for added underfoot comfort.
- Made of synthetic parts to last longer
- Outsole is flexible enough to run on mud
- Soles are elevated for better vision
- Very Lightweight
- Shaft measures approximately 2.75 inches from arch for better comfort
- Can wear off after huge use
6. Merrell All Out Peak Trail Running Shoe
Merrell has been producing quality running shoes, but this special edition is dedicated to all runners that perform the difficult mud racing. They are made with 100% Textile and Synthetic breathable upper.
Their insoles are cover with anti-bacterial layer to keep your hygiene levels high. They are washable too to keep them clean since most of the time you are wearing them barefoot.
In addition, the midsole has a special foamy material that takes the shape of your feet and offers you increased comfort and pleasure when running.
- Textile and synthetic parts are cooperating to give you best results
- Mesh upper and tongue protect your foot arches
- Laces are securing your ankle to the metatarsals when running
- Footbed is removable to make it easier to switch from mud race to track race
- Elevated outsoles are better to increase your height when running
- There is a limited color variety available
7. Reebok All Terrain Craze Running Shoe
Another pair of best mud running shoes that are available in the online market. This pair of shoes can give you increased stability and traction when passing over slippery surfaces.
Their dynamic shape can save you energy while running. These are shoes that can be worn without having any socks on your feet. Thus, their insoles are quite sweated absorbing giving you more protection than ever before.
They can also keep your hygiene levels higher thanks to their anti-bacterial layer that is existent on the inside parts of the shoes.
The outsole is great for grip on mud and loose dirt or wet. They are perfect for mud racing since their insole is strategically designed to withhold the lesser amount of mud possible. You can clean them easily just using soap and water.
- The mesh upper is seamless for unique design and comfort
- Flexible rubber sole to anticipate all hurdles in mud terrains
- The low-cut design makes it easier to put them on and off
- Great waterproof abilities keep water away
- Lacing system keeps on being basic and can be easily torn
8. Salomon Women’s XR Mission Running Shoe
Salomon women’s XR ranked by the best shoes for mud running for its feature. They are the latest editions of the famous brand which are dedicated to persons who wish to run on mud terrains. The Salomon XR Mission Running Shoe is best for being lightweight and breathable to provide a comfortable running experience in mud.
They have a perfectly balanced outsole that can keep you always standing tall no matter how uneven the mud-terrain could be. The rebound abilities of the insole give you more energy to go further and complete the race.
Finally, your feet are properly insulated in these shoes and you can keep going for a longer time.
- The dynamic shape that can give you lots of energy
- Soft insoles to keep you pain-free
- Lacing system covers the forefoot area for better safety
- Heel cap protection can help you avoid injuries
- Extra cushioning on the foot curve offers more sophisticated protection
- Size may vary
9. Vibram Five Fingers V-Train Fitness Shoe
A really great pair of shoes that are perfect for mud running and training. It is lighter than the average running shoes. The forefoot area of this shoe is larger than the previous models and can make a lot more space for your toe fingers. The shoe is made of 95% Polyester and 5% Spandex that can provide provides flexibility of barefoot shoe.
This is extremely important for your stability as well as your balance when you are moving over slippery and uneven terrains like the muddy ones. Additionally, you have better cushioning on your heel and foot curve areas that are the primary triggering points for pain sentiments while running.
With this extreme quality cushioning you can have most of the shocks absorbed and experience a pain-free mud running session. The shoe can easily fit and provide great grip.
- Innovative shape and style for better appearance
- Vivid colors to make you differ from others
- Mesh is laced-up to be centralized and give you extreme comfort
- Outer lugs are triangular shaped for better traction and grip
- Limited availability to certain regions
10. Inov-8 Terraclaw 220 Trail Running Shoe
These shoes are primarily designed for men and have extra solid parts so that you feel secure when running on them. Their insoles are adequately placed to cover all shocks from the external environment. They can be also removed easily and washed to keep your hygiene levels at a relatively high level.
The shoe is very lightweight and comfortable for mesh upper with a lace-up vamp. Not to mention, that there is specialized cushioning on the heel and foot curve areas which manage to get slightly aggravated by your body weight or the pressure you exert on them.
Finally, they are having the most highly sophisticated sticky rubber outsole for traction on any surfaces. It is made of special rubber alloys that stay durable to sunshine exposure as well as water touch. At the same time, these outsoles are flexible enough to give you better movement when running.
- More flexible
- Made of quality materials that do not wear off after a few days
- Lugs are circular shaped to give you better touch to the ground
- The sock liner keeps on being anti-microbial
- Improved lacing system is there to give you secure running
- Available only one color
- Not affordable
Criteria to Use When Shopping for the Best Tough Mudder Shoes
The wide variety of tough mudder in the market has made it difficult for people to identify the best type in the market. In this guide, we will provide you with the factors to guide you in choosing the best shoes for tough mudder.
Weight is an important factor that you need to prioritize when shopping for the best tough mudder. Go for lightweight shoes that will make it easier for you to walk around without getting tired. Lightweight shoes for tough mudder will guarantee you more coverage whenever you are walking.
You need to find out how you feel when you wear the shoes before you make the purchase. Are the shoes okay? In case they cause any discomfort leave them alone. Only settle on shoes that fit you well. If you get shoes that fit you well you will feel comfortable and will be able to stay with the shoes for long.
Ensure the shoes have great traction to avoid sliding especially if you will be using the shoes on a slippery surface or wet conditions. Going for shoes with the right grip will enable you to run, exercise and walk with lots of confidence.
There are people with narrow feet and others with wide feet. Consider if the shoes are meant for people with wide feet or people with narrow feet. Getting shoes of right width will ensure you are always confident and comfortable.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Does Tough Mudder ruin shoes?
Your shoes will never be ruined by tough mudder. In case you opt to use old running sneakers, be ready to slip over the course.
Q. What should I wear for Tough Mudder?
It is highly recommended that you put on shorts in warm to moderate temperatures. Shorts are known to offer more comfort since putting on long pants can be very warm in hot weather. There are mudders find it beneficial to put on longer shorts to help in protecting their knees.
Q. How do you clean shoes after Tough Mudder?
First, place the shoes in a plastic bag. This helps in preventing your car and sports bag from dirt. Beat both the tough mudder and running shoes outside o help in doing away with the coarse dirt.
Soak all in a bathtub using water with some shampoo. Dry them. However, ensure you keep the tough mudder from the flatiron and dryer.
Q. Is Tough Mudder really hard?
Yes, it is ok! However, the tough mudder is not that hard. A total of three million individuals have so far taken part in tough mudder. If it was that difficult, the number would not be that high.
Q. Do you need trail shoes for Tough Mudder?
Yes, you definitely need trail shoes. You need to keep in mind that the race covers 12 miles in distance. The trail shoes ensure you have perfect traction during wet weather. However, top quality trail shoes are not that cheap. Ensure you only go for durable shoes.
List of Top 10 Tough Mudder Shoes
|Merrell Men's Trail Glove 4 Runner, Vertical, 7 M US||1,553 Reviews||Check Price|
|Mizuno Women's Wave Creation 19 Running Shoe||163 Reviews||Check Price|
|Salomon Men's Speedcross 4 Trail Running Shoes||51 Reviews||Check Price|
|Saucony Women's Peregrine 7 Running Shoe, Blue Citron, 8...||182 Reviews||Check Price|
|adidas outdoor Men's Kanadia 8.1 Trail Running Shoe,...||57 Reviews||Check Price|
|Merrell Men's J03943, Spicy Orange/Astral Aura, 10 M US||171 Reviews||Check Price|
|Reebok Men's All Terrain Super 3.0 Sneaker,...||55 Reviews||Check Price|
|Salomon Women's XR Mission Trail Running Shoe,Score...||3,399 Reviews||Check Price|
|Vibram Five Fingers Men's V-Train Fitness Shoe (43...||783 Reviews||Check Price|
|Inov-8 Men's Terraclaw 250-M, Black/Blue/Lime, 12.5 D US||220 Reviews||Check Price|
|Under Armour Men's Highlight M.C. Limited Edition Running...||374 Reviews||Check Price|
We hope our reviews and our guide have helped you come to a greater understanding of the best shoes for tough mudder. Make sure you are getting the best shoes that will last longer and give you quality for mud running.
Table of Contents
- Why You Need Specific Shoes for a Tough Mudders or Spartan Race?
- What Type of Shoes are Needed for Spartan Races and Tough Mudder?
- What Is The Best Way To Clean Mud of Running Shoes?
- Benefits of Best Mud Running Shoes
- Features of a Good Shoes for Mud Running
- Our Top picks
- Best Shoes for Tough Mudder
- 1. Merrell Trail Glove 4 Runner
- 2. Mizuno Women’s Wave Creation 19 Running Shoe
- 3. Salomon Speedcross 4 Trail Running Shoe
- 4. Saucony Peregrine 7 Trail Running Shoe
- 5. Under Armour Men’s Micro G Speed Swift 2 Running Shoe
- 6. Merrell All Out Peak Trail Running Shoe
- 7. Reebok All Terrain Craze Running Shoe
- 8. Salomon Women’s XR Mission Running Shoe
- 9. Vibram Five Fingers V-Train Fitness Shoe
- 10. Inov-8 Terraclaw 220 Trail Running Shoe
- Criteria to Use When Shopping for the Best Tough Mudder Shoes
- Frequently Asked Questions
- List of Top 10 Tough Mudder Shoes